Bryan Martyn felt he was defending his honor when he lost his cool and pushed another man at a community festival earlier this year. Now, the Arizona State Parks director is a convicted criminal, the Arizona Republic reported.
Martyn, who became parks director May 1, was found guilty Thursday (Nov. 15) of one count of disorderly conduct, a Class 1 misdemeanor, following a 2 1/2 hour bench trial before Magistrate Katherine Kaiser in Florence Municipal Court.
Kaiser imposed an $813 fine. Martyn faced up to six months in jail and fines of up to $2,500. The judge did not say how she arrived at the amount of the fine. She declined to answer questions from a reporter after the hearing.
“I’m disappointed in the outcome,” Martyn said after sentencing. “But I’m anxious to move forward with Arizona State Parks.”
Martyn said he does not expect the conviction to have any influence on his job. He said he notified his bosses, Gov. Jan Brewer and Arizona State Parks Board Chairman Walter Armer.
Brewer could not be reached for comment. Armer downplayed the incident and said he supports Martyn.
Click here to read the entire story.