Two trailers were destroyed and another was damaged by fire Thursday (March 29) when an employee at Indian Trails Campground near Peru in north-central Indiana lost control of burning leaves.
The Miami County Sheriff Department said a preliminary investigation revealed the employee at the campground was burning leaves when changing winds blew the flames beneath the porch of a trailer, catching it on fire, the Peru Pharos-Tribune reported.
The flames spread to a neighboring trailer, which was also engulfed in flames.
Eyewitnesses reported that propane tanks attached to the trailers exploded in the fire, which was first reported at 3:24 p.m.
One propane tank was still spouting flames two hours after the initial call. Power lines also came down in the flames.
The campground was not yet open for the season and both trailers were unoccupied. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters from Denver, Mexico and Peru responded.
William and Cheryl Roach, owners of one of the trailers, arrived at the campground after an employee called and told them their trailer was burning. The couple had just bought it last June.
“We’re just glad nobody’s hurt,” William Roach said. “It could have been a lot worse.”
He said they rent the lot and come to the wooded campground just north of Peru every weekend.
The fire was contained by 5 p.m.