State parks in West Virginia are offering various discounts to get campers into cabins this fall.Details on offers follow, according to a news release:
- Cabins and cottages at Twin Falls Resort, Bluestone, Holly River, Cass Scenic Railroad, Pipestem Resort, Beech Fork, and Watoga state parks and also at Cabwaylingo, Kumbrabow and Greenbrier state forests are extending 20 percent off the standard rate for rentals of two or more nights, Sunday – Thursday in September.
- Cabin stays at Lost River State Park lengthen a visit with the popular “retreat to relax” option. “Stay two nights at regular rate and the third night is fee free,” said Mike Foster, superintendent at Lost River. “We’re quite a distance from most folks in West Virginia, so when anyone makes the trek to Lost River, they will want to spend an extra night or check out later than the normal time.” Lost River, located in Hardy County, offers the third night free option from Sept. 17 – Nov. 22 and again from Jan. 2 – May 23, 2013. Advance reservations are required. The park features horseback riding stables, hiking, and CCC structures.
- North Bend State Park, near Cairo and Harrisville, changes things a bit with a “cozy cabin getaway” that includes bike riding and boating. From Sept. 17-27, stay two nights, Sunday – Thursday in a cabin for up to four people, get bike rentals or kayak rentals for four hours of outdoor fun, box lunches for four for a day, and a $25 gift shop voucher, for a $299 cost which includes taxes. “We see couples and friends that travel together looking for less busy times for travel in the middle of a week. They find greater savings and a more relaxed visit,” said Steve Jones, park superintendent. North Bend creates and offers a wide range of lodge and cabin packages and special event weekends throughout the year.
- Bluestone State Park recently rolled out a pontoon boat use that’s included with cabin rentals in September and October in addition to the September mid-week discount offer. The “Pontoon/Cabin” package varies based on cabin type and days selected, but the rate package includes a four-hour pontoon boat rental with gas and oil costs included. “Our customers have asked for packaged rates that include cabins and pontoon use and available on weekends or weekdays, and we’re happy to provide them,” said Brett McMillion, Bluestone State Park superintendent.
- Cacapon Resort State Park, which is celebrating a 75-year anniversary in 2012, has a Diamond Jubilee promotion that takes $75 off the total rental cost of a three or more night stay.
- Cass Scenic Railroad is not typically considered as having cabins, but the state park does have company houses. “Twenty-two of the original houses are restored and rented as overnight options,” said Rob Sovine, park superintendent at Cass Scenic Railroad. Like other state parks, Cass extends a 20 percent off rate on Sunday – Thursday rental of two or more nights. Three or more daily train trips up Cheat Mountain continue through Oct. 28, with the exception of Sept. 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, and 20, when train trips are not scheduled at Cass Scenic Railroad. Train trips resume Memorial Day weekend, but the company houses are rented year-round.
West Virginia’s state parks that feature lodges and restaurants and also have cabins onsite are open year round. Cabins at Lost River and Watoga state parks are also available for year-round travel destinations. Visit www.wvstateparks.com for information, events and travel accommodations.