Sixteen campgrounds were represented at the Colorado Campground & Lodge Owners Association (CCLOA) Convention and Trade Show Feb. 2-4 in Colorado Springs.
Though attendance was down from previous years, the mood of campground owners and operators was upbeat, according to Dana Foran, CCLOA administrative assistant.
The convention began with a board meeting and POOT tour of four campgrounds in the Colorado Springs area on Feb. 2, the day concluding with a reception at the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (ARVC) headquarters in nearby Larkspur.
Wednesday featured a series of educational seminars and a vendor show, with 11 vendors participating. Seminar speakers included:
- Jeff Sims, former ARVC chairman, who has contracted with ARVC to sell memberships and ads in Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas and Utah.
- Evanne Schmarder of Roadabode Productions Inc., who talked about social media and networking and how to use those tools to improve business.
- Jerry Bell, with Bell Leadership Institute, who discussed developing leadership skills.
- Vern Moter, CPA, who discussed managing finances.
- Terry Sullivan, head of the Colorado Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau, who discussed state tourism issues.
Wednesday’s session featured a cracker barrel with the campground owners and vendors, followed by more expo time.
- President Tom and Mari Garland, Junction West RV Park, Grand Junction.
- Vice President Ian and Sally Steyn, Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park, Larkspur.
- Secretary/Treasurer Stan and Pat Stehwein, Gunnison Lakeside Resort, Gunnison.
Regional directors elected were:
- Tom Bell, Montrose RV Resort, Montrose.
- Marlin Ness, Greeley RV Park and Campground, Greeley.
- Jim and Dee Ozburn, Falcon Meadow RV Campground, Falcon.
Immediate past-president Gene and Johanna Farrar, Snowy Peaks RV Park, Buena Vista, also will serve on the board.