The plan to put self-contained RVs on a prime oceanfront beach in Wildwood, N.J., just seems to get bogged down the further along the summer progresses.
The latest story posted by Shore News Today indicated that city commissioners admitted at the Aug. 22 meeting that issues with the RV park operator are causing the delay with opening the park.
“We have some concerns with the operator,” Mayor Ernie Troiano Jr. said. “We said at the beginning, if we weren’t 100 percent satisfied with certain things, we would not move forward.”
Troiano said these concerns were why the stakes marking parking spots for RV camping at Cresse Avenue were removed last week. However, he said these concerns didn’t mean the park was killed for 2012.
“We are in the process of relooking at the RV parks,” he said.
Sources with reliable information had indicated earlier this month that the organizers of Point Break Management Group LLC, the management company that had won the bid to oversee the RV park, were having internal issues.
The CEO of Point Break Management is the mayor’s cousin by marriage. CEO Jamie Peterson joins Chief Operating Officer Ian Cairn and Dante Guliano as principles in Point Break.
It was said that one of the organizers was trying to push the other two out of the company, but no one from Point Break or the city would confirm this.
Bob Grandinetti, Ocean Towers Condominium president and organizer of the protests against the RV park had challenged Troiano to give a definite answer about whether the park would be open this summer. Troiano did not.
Grandinetti also mentioned a letter to the city from Cape May County Health Officer Kevin Thomas, which said the health department needed to review the park and approve it before RVs could park there.
Troiano said he had just received the letter Aug. 23, however, in an interview last week Thomas said he had sent the city a letter requesting more information about the park almost two weeks prior, and had not heard a response.
Thomas said if the city operates the RV park without county approval, it would be a violation and the health department would shut it down.
“I need to see plans,” Thomas had said.
Troiano, however, said Thomas was confused about the nature of the RV park. He said Thomas had referred to the park as a “campground” that would require electricity and water hookups, which isn’t the case.
Troiano said he planned to discuss concerns with Thomas and seek the correct approvals.
“There’s a big difference between a campground and an RV park,” Troiano said at the meeting, and pointed a finger at Grandinetti and RV protestors for portraying the “wrong image” for what would be on the beach.
“These are big, motorized recreational vehicles,” Troiano said.
The RV park was planned to host about 80 RVs, which would have to be self-contained, because no electricity or water would be run to the site. They would enter at Cresse Avenue and park in marked spots that would run for up to $150 a day, despite not having hookups.