A fire believed to be caused by a gas leak in a fridge destroyed one tent and partially damaged another at Golden Bay Holiday Park in Tukurua, New Zealand.

One tent went up in flames and another was damaged in an apparent gas-related fire at a busy Golden Bay campground on Saturday (Dec. 29) night in New Zealand, according to the Nelson Mail.

A fire and emergency NZ crew from Collingwood was called to the incident at the Golden Bay Kiwi Holiday Park at Tukurua Beach around 11 p.m. on Saturday evening.

Collingwood fire chief Graeme Miller said personnel initially responded to a report of a vegetation fire but on arrival discovered a tent on a camp site had caught fire.

“By the time we got there it was pretty much burnt to the ground and put out,” he said.

It is understood the fire was started by a gas fridge, however Miller was unsure what had caused the appliance to ignite.

He said the incident served as a reminder for people to check their gas fittings and the condition of all gas-reliant appliances, whether they were camping or having a barbecue around the home.

To read more click here.