> SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE! 

For people who like to camp for the entire Memorial Day weekend, the three-month window to reserve an Iowa state park campsite for a Friday arrival opens Feb. 25.

That deadline could be especially important in the Iowa Great Lakes because of planned changes at one of its largest campgrounds, according to Dickinson County News. DNR officials in January announced plans to close Marble Beach State Recreation Area campgrounds for the 2018 vacation season.

The recreation area and campground will be getting new roads, buildings, access to electricity and sewage hookups. The campground was originally designed for tents and popup campers, but the slots cannot easily serve today’s large trailers and RVs.

The lost campsites at Marble Beach could put pressure on other campgrounds in the Iowa Great Lakes. Memorial Day weekend starts Friday, May 25, and continues through Monday, May 28.

“Campers can make reservations for sites three months ahead of their first night stay,” Todd Coffelt, chief of the DNR State Parks Bureau, said. “Now is a great time to start planning summer vacations and make a reservation at your favorite park.”

New for the 2018 season, 75% of available campsites at each park can be reserved through the online reservations site. The remaining 25% are available on a first-come first-serve basis at the park.