Lakewood Camping Resort in Myrtle Beach, S.C., is preparing to host its sixth annual Griller’s Cup on Sept. 27 and 28, according to a press release.
All proceeds from the cook-off, which is sanctioned by the South Carolina Barbecue Association (SCBA), will once again benefit local nonprofit Backpack Buddies of Horry County.
The two-day event includes:
- A barbecue wing tasting competition. More than 25 cooks from across the Carolinas will face off and have their recipes judged by local celebrities at 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 27. The event is then open to the public at 5 p.m. for tastings.
- A live pork butt cooking competition. The participating cooks will be put to the test at 10 a.m. on Sept. 28 for the judging portion of the event. The event opens to the public at 11 a.m. for tastings.
- An awards ceremony on Sept. 28 at 2:30 p.m. at the Band Stage. The ceremony will recognize all winners and will include a presentation of funds to Backpack Buddies.
- Live music and entertainment will be performed, a variety of vendors will be present, and a silent auction tent full of fun prizes will be set up for participation throughout the weekend’s events.
- Entry to the event is free and open to the public. Tasting tickets are $1 and will be available to purchase onsite.
“For the past five years, we have held our annual Griller’s Cup BBQ cook-off to help raise money for Backpack Buddies of Horry County,” said Blayne Perry, co-owner of Lakewood Camping Resort. “The Griller’s Cup is one of our favorite ways to bring our community together for fun and philanthropy, and we are proud to say that every single dollar raised will go directly to Backpack Buddies. Ensuring that the kids of Horry County are not going to school hungry or without proper clothing, shoes or school supplies. In 2018, we raised over $24,000 at this event and we hope to top that this year.”
Backpack Buddies of Horry County is a 100% volunteer-based organization that has been serving children and families in the community for more than 25 years. The organization works to arm students with the tools needed to learn and be better able to finish school for a bright future.
Major sponsors for the Griller’s Cup include WPDE ABC 15, SYSCO Foods, Gator 107.9 and Lakewood Camping Resort.
Lakewood Camping Resort is active in the Grand Strand community working with dozens of organizations and institutions including Brookgreen Gardens, all local-area schools, the SC Angler League, the Chicora Rotary Club, the American Heart Association, the Alzheimer’s Association, Backpack Buddies and more.
For more information about the Griller’s Cup or to donate to Backpack Buddies, please contact Carolyn Miles with Lakewood Camping Resort at [email protected]