The following are highlights of unfortunate incidents that occurred over the Memorial Day holiday weekend at RV parks and campgrounds across the U.S.:


From WXXA-TV, Albany:

Warren County Sheriff’s deputies are investigating how a Brant Lake man drowned late Friday ( May 25) in a pond at the Wakonda family campground in Pottersville.

Deputies say 25-year-old Jason Konazewski was visiting friends at the campground when he left them to go for a swim around 11 p.m. and never came back.

His body was found in the pond a short time later.

Deputies say he may have been drinking earlier in the day, but have no reason to believe he was intoxicated.

They are still awaiting the results of the toxicology report.


From ABC News:

Cameron Charlton, a 17-year-old senior at Fremont High School, was shot and killed Monday morning at a campground at Yuba State Park. His brother 27-year-old Eric Charlton has been charged with his murder.

“I just heard he was camping with his family and it was a gunfire accident,” said friend Garrett Gallegos.

Police are still trying to figure out if it was an accident. The two brothers were sitting around a campfire between 2 and 3 a.m. when Eric reportedly fired one shot at Cameron’s head.

Jose Calvillo was camping nearby and heard the commotion. “She was yelling no, no, no stop, stop, stop, and I was like wow this is getting serious,” said Calvillo. “That’s when I thought something was really going on.”

Cameron was pronounced dead on the scene. Those who knew him say it’s a huge loss.

Gallegos said, “He was a good kid. He was a great friend. He always just knew how to make you laugh.”


From the Denver Post:

A 24-year-old Thornton man was killed in the early hours of Memorial Day at a campground in Boulder County, authorities say.

The name of the man is not being released pending notification of family members, said Det. Sgt. Jason Oehlkers, spokesman for the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office.

The man was camping with friends and acquaintances at the Olive Ridge campground northwest of Boulder when he shot himself in the face at 1:15 a.m., Oehlkers said.

Friends called emergency reporting that the shooting was accidental, Oehlkers said.

Authorities are interviewing other campers and the man’s friends to determine what happened, he said.

“I don’t know why he had a gun,” Oehlkers said. “We’re still trying to figure this out.”

People often take guns with them when they are camping for recreational shooting, he said.


From the Virginia Gazette:

The sound heard around the campground near York, Va., was something like a “ka-boom.”

Then cries for help came from the RV on fire Friday night at the KOA site near Newman Road. Michael Frankenthaler, 44, who was having dinner with his family nearby, immediately ran to the scene along with his cousin, Steve Long, and another man, Jeff Wagner. Inside the RV were a man and a woman along with their two grandchildren, one boy and one girl.

Fellow campers helped get three of the family members, who all suffered burns, out of the RV but there was no sign of the boy. He was discovered a short distance up a hill, also with second- and third-degree burns. Frankenthaler, who is a doctor, had the victims wrapped in wet towels to ease the burn wounds.

More campers came out to help, and Frankenthaler said they worked to make sure the burn victims did not go into shock by talking to them and keeping them conscious.

“You could look at their fingers and hands and tell they were badly burned,” Frankenthaler said. Long, of Fayetteville, N.C., and Wagner — who’s stationed at Andrew Air Force Base in Maryland — are both active-duty military service members and helped get the flames out with fire extinguishers on the RV.

Long said the rescuers had to think quickly in the moments after the explosion.

“It’s instinctive,” Long said. “I think you worry about what needs to be done.”

Medics arrived and transported all four victims to VCU Medical Center in Richmond with injuries that were considered life-threatening.The boy was brought to the hospital via Nightingale helicopter because of the extent of his injuries.

The victims’ identities have not been released by the York Fire Department.Their conditions were not released either, but Frankenthaler said he was told they were all recovering Sunday afternoon. Firefighters said a preliminary investigation showed that a propane leak caused the blaze.

The campground sponsored a weekend fundraiser for the victims, and on Sunday afternoon, a sign posted on the grounds said $550 had been raised on their behalf.


From the Hattiesburg American:

A Texas couple is looking for another place to stay after a fire heavily damaged their RV late Thursday night (May 24).

At about 9:30 p.m., volunteer fire units from Sandersville, Rustin and Powers VFD responded to the report of an RV on fire at the Sleepy Hollow RV Park at 2920 U.S. 11 North near Sandersville.

Upon arrival firefighters found flames shooting approximately 10 feet above the roof of the 40-foot Cedar Creek fifth-wheel trailer. After entering the front door of the travel trailer, firefighters were able to quickly suppress the fire that was located around the refrigerator area.

Owner Harry Sarrett said he and his wife, Carolyn, suddenly smelled something that he described as being an ammonia smell, then smoke started boiling out from around the refrigerator. He and his wife ran out the door and saw flames coming from the roof vent of the travel trailer.

The Sarretts, who are from Fort Worth, Texas, have been staying in the park since last April while he has been working as a start-up engineer on a power plant in Moselle.

The exact cause of the fire is unknown and remains under investigation.