Discussions continued about a proposed RV park in the city limits of Hardin, Mo., at the monthly Hardin City Council on Oct. 20.
Hardin resident Jason Raasch is trying to get city approval to build a 10-unit, two-acre RV park area of town, according to the Richmond (Mo.) Daily News.
Raasch anticipates construction railers, pipeline workers on the trans-Canada oil line in 2009, and future construction workers on a potential Norborne power plant as his main RV users. Some residents and Alderman Randy Estenbaum are concerned about increased traffic and a work hard, play hard crowd – or worse – from the proposed park.
Raasch contends that well-paid union workers, who he is targeting, would not cause trouble in town. He also believes that workers will “spend it where they make it,” bringing more business to the Grapevine Restaurant and the DX, as examples.
“I guarantee it is going to bring in money and jobs into town. I have the business owners who want this,” Raasch said.
Carrollton, Higginsville and Henrietta were brought up as towns that have RV parks for temporary workers, but all are outside of their city limits. Carroll County Presiding Commissioner Nelson Heil said that Carrollton’s RV park has encountered only one fight in the park, and those two workers were fired immediately during the construction of the natural gas pipeline last year.
“They make good money and one of the rules is no monkey business. Any rowdiness and they would be out of a job. They were well behaved and a lot of these guys travel with their families,” Heil said.
Mayor Bob McCorkendale asked Raasch to consider moving the park outside of city limits, as it is with other communities. Raasch said that Ray County doesn’t want anymore, but Ray County Presiding Commissioner Jeff Adams pointed to county zoning regulations that stipulate RV parks in the county must have a minimum of 10 acres and be located at least one-quarter of a mile from any residential zoned area.
Another point of contention is a Hardin city ordinance directing the use and operation of sewage and water. The ordinance states that each residence must have separate services for sewer and water, and therefore, each of the 10 units would be considered a separate residence and would be required to have separate meters and lines. A rural county RV park, by contrast, is required to have a county health department approved sewage disposal dumping system.