Two small children were burned in separate, unrelated incidents at New England campgrounds over the weekend.

According to the The Enterprise, Brockton, Mass., a 4-year-old child was taken by medical helicopter to at Rhode Island Hospital after she fell into a campfire on Saturday night (July 14).

The child was camping with family at a cabin at the KOA Campground on Route 44 near Middleboro, Mass., when she was severely burned, said Fire Lt. Timothy Reed. Reed said the girl was playing near a campfire when she fell in.

Reed said emergency treatment was administered by trained fire department personnel before the ambulance arrived. The ambulance met Medflight at the Peirce Playground at 9:42 p.m. to transport the girl and her mother to Rhode Island.

Reed said the girl had second-degree burns on her face, neck, both hands, both arms and a leg. He did not release her name.

Fire Capt. Thomas E. Gaudette said this is the second time someone has fallen into a campfire this summer. Three weeks ago a 22-year-old man was burned on his arms and legs after he fell into a fire pit at 2 a.m. after a calm bake on Plymouth Street.

Gaudette said there was no flames, just hot coals where the man was sitting before he stumbled into the pit. Gaudette said the man was taken by medical helicopter to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston with burns to his hands and arms.

“I can’t remember ever having a problem like this with campfires,” Gaudette said. He advised people to “keep it small and be careful” around campfires and don’t get too close.

Meanwhile, WCSH-TV, Portland, Maine, reported that a two-year-old girl is being treated at a Boston hospital for serious burn injuries after she accidentally fell into a fire pit Sunday morning in Lebanon, N.H.

Click here to watch a video clip about this story.

The Lebanon Rescue Department says it was called to Flat Rock Bridge Family Resort in Lebanon just before 6:30 a.m. Sunday. When rescue officials arrived on scene, they found a girl with serious burns and called in a medical helicopter to transport her to Boston.

The State Fire Marshal’s office is investigating the incident. They say it appears to be an accident and that the child was outside playing with siblings and family when she accidentally fell backward into the fire pit which had hot coals in it.

Investigators say family members immediately pulled the girl out of the fire pit and called for help. Bystanders and campground staff assisted in providing first aid for the girl until rescue personnel arrived.


The two-year-old girl is from Milton, New Hampshire